Resources for Central Valley Gardeners
UC Davis Arboretum: plant information, design, references.
- Water-Wise Gardening Fresno Region (sponsored by the city of Fresno): Water wise garden tours, plants, irrigation, soils, design.
- California Native Plant Society: Resources for native plant gardening
- Colorado State University. Drip irrigation facts and how to install
- Trees and Shrubs for Dry California Landscapes: Plants for Water Conservation, by Bob Perry, Land Design Publishing. Scholarly plant information.
- The Allergy-Fighting Garden, by Thomas Leo Ogren, Ten Speed Press. Find plants unlikely to aggravate allergies
- California Native Plants for the Garden, by Bornstein, Fross and O’Brien, Cachuma Press. Describes the most commonly available native plants with gardening tips.
- The New Sunset Western Garden Book, by Sunset magazine, Oxmoor House. Complete guide to plants, irrigation, and garden maintenance.
- Sunset Western Garden Landscaping, by Sunset magazine, Oxmoor House. Guide to creating beautiful paths, patios, plantings and more.
- Sunset Easy Care Plantings, by Sunset magazine, Oxmoor House. Guide to Low-water beds, borders and containers.
- Reimagining the California Lawn, by Carol Bornstein, Cachuma Press. Plants and practices that can replace the lawn.
Most local nurseries have water wise plants either labeled as such or gathered for display. Not every nursery will have every plant, some may be willing to special order.
Intermountain Nursery in Prather specializes in growing native plants. Plant labels contain growing area information. 30443 Auberry Rd., Prather, 559 855 3113
Many local hardware stores sell water wise irrigation systems and provide “How To” pamphlets for installation.
Check your city’s website for water conservation regulations and information .